Hangzhou is one of the premier places to eat in China, and its local cuisine features dishes that consist more of pork and seafood rather than the beef and lamb, as those typically found in the north and west regions of China. Typical Hangzhou specialties include Dongpo Rou, an extremely fatty chunk of pork in a syrupy sauce, and Cuyu, which is fish with a vinegar sauce. If you do not like Hangzhou’s cuisine, you can find plenty of excellent Sichuan and Xinjiang restaurants throughout the city. Of course there are also numerous highly recommended western style restaurants.
- Xi Hu Yin Xiang (西湖印象), Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Hangzhou,One of the best Chinese Restaurants in Hanghzou with the breath- taking West Lake view and the intoxicating moonlight. Address: No.555 Fengqi Road, Xiachang District, Hangzhou 310006, China
- Lou Wai Lou (楼外楼), right on the lake on an island off Beishan Road. The most famous restaurant in Hangzhou and in existense for over 150 years. Lou Wai Lou also has a second establishment called “Shan Wai Shan” right on the Botanical Gardens. “West Lake sweet & sour fish” is a speciality of this place, and another dish to try is the Beggar’s Chicken, wrapped in fresh lotus leaves and baked on fire. The chicken meat is soft and tender and falls easily off the bones. The restaurant is full every night so a reservation is highly recommended.
- Oriental Favorites Restaurant (彩云轩), Beishan Road (just past the Broken Bridge). A good replacement for Lou Wai Lou and has an equally good view with slightly cheaper prices (but it’s still expensive).
- Hubin 28, Hyatt Hotel, 28 Hubin Road. One of the top Chinese restaurants in Hangzhou. Hubin 28 serves good food from all over China in a restaurant designed with a mixture of modern fittings and traditional furniture. It has received good reviews in many foodie magazines in Hong Kong. Dinner will cost more than ¥200 per person.
- Fu Gang, Tiyuchang Road (near Wulin Square). Hangzhou’s most famous Japanese restaurant, although it does not offer an all-you-can-eat deal. It does have a sushi train and set meals though and the sushi is fresh and tasty.
- Mu Zhi Lan, Nanshan Rd (next to the Bernini coffee shop) is one of the best, especially location-wise. The all-you-can-eat deal is around Y180, but the seating and views are excellent, as is the food.
- Honglin Teppanyaki, 2/F Modern International Plaza, Yugu Road and Tianmushan Road. This newish Teppanyaki restaurant is clean and spacious, with large table around hotplates able to seat 10-20 people at a go. There is a one-price-gets-everything deal, including sake and beer.
- Sawasdee Thai Restaurant, Best Thai food in town, located in a 5 star hotel next to the west lake. Fengqi Road 555 | Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Hotel – 2nd Floor, Hangzhou, China
- Banana Leaf, Changsheng Rd (2 junctions north of the Hyatt on the east side of the lake). South-East Asian. Reservations are recommended on weekends. Although there is a pleasant atmosphere and good quality food, many customers find that the food is untraditional.
- Curry Bistro, Wangtang Rd (just south of Wenyi Road, near the Wumei shopping center) is a small family run restaurant specialising in Hong Kong and Thai food.
- Y&Y Cafe, 322 Wen San Xi Lu (Almost facing the entrance of Dang Gui apartments) is a small eatery serving asian dishes at budget price.
- Triple O’s, best burger in town, 277 Wulin Road, within the trendy Queen’s Garden, on this very popular street of fashion, is offering legendary burgers and shakes from Vancouver, Canada, founded since 1928, its the second store in China and 1st store in Hangzhou, quality and good service would sure hightlight your stay in Hangzhou, 10:30am-11pm.
- Le Restaurant, 87 Siyanjing, Manjuelong Road, Xihu +86 0571 8971 2700 . Located in the Xihu district, nestled in mountains. Italian and French cuisine; authentic Italian Pizzas baked in an Artisanal Wood Fired Oven. Also take advantage of their daily pizza specials and promotions.
- The Vineyard, Zhongtian Mansion, 173 Yugu Road, +86 0571 8763 2388. Featuring a menu created by Chef Rueben Marley, Vineyard is a venue in Hangzhou serving American pub foods like Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches, Bacon-Shroom-Melt burgers, and New York style pizza.Decent Happy Hours of BOGO until 8pm everyday.
- Eudora Station, 101-7 Nanshan Road, +86 0571 8791 4760, 9AM-2AM. Situated on the bustling main drag of Hangzhou, Eudora Station offers top-notch Western food and a wide selection of beers displayed on English menus. Take advantage of their daily happy hour specials and nightly promotions.Expect a Posh, business-orientated expat crowd with high prices to reflect.
- L’Amour French Restaurant, 87 Shu Guang Lu (on the right of youtou bar), +86 57186592191 , . is a french brasserie serving strictly homemade food in a Shanghaï-Belle-époque themed environment. Closed every thursday.
- Café at the Hyatt, Hyatt Hotel, 28 Hubin Road. Opened January 2005, considered to be one of the best values in upmarket buffet offerings in Hangzhou, a wide selection is available for about Y148++ lunch, and Y198++ dinner.
- Y&Y West, 35 Jing Zhou Road (facing the entrance west of Shang shui ren jia appartments) is a small eatery serving lobster, seafish and steaks.
- Provence, 1 Baishaquan Road, is a restaurant in Hangzhou, serving fresh French and Mediterranean food. Good selection of wines, liquors and cocktails available. Weekend all day brunch.
- Angelo’s, on #2 Lane off of Baochu Road (across the street NW from 88 Club). New York-themed Italian style restaurant and bar serving pizza, pasta, burgers, and many other offerings.
- Caribbean BBQ, Yan’an Road (near Wushan Square). It is not very authentic, but is a buffet-style restaurant that will probably at least leave you with a full stomach.
- Peppino, Shangri-La Hotel. American style italian – pizzas out of the authentic brick oven, steaks, pasta.
- L96 Guangxian Cafe, Pingfeng Road, (east of Zhongshan Zhong Rd), is a small restaurant in modern atmosphere serving well-prepared Italian food and home-made ice-creams
- Haveli, 77 Nanshan Rd . Indoor and outdoor dining. Expensive and small dishes.
Indian Kitchen, 63 Nanshan Road, All you can eat/all you can drink buffet on Saturday & Sunday