Xixi National Wetland Park is the first and only national wetland park in China, located at the west part of Hangzhou, a total of 1,150 hectares (2,800 acres). The park is densely crisscrossed with six main watercourses, among which scatter various ponds, lakes and swamps.
XiXi Wetland has a history of more than 1,800 years and an abundant cultural heritage. It’s the original site of Chinese South Opera; it has a traditional Dragon Boat Contest. It aslo contains the vivid life of a water village, featuring silkworm feeding and silk production.
Causeways in Xixi National Wetland Park
- The natural and human landscape in this wetland are grouped into three causeways and ten sights: The three causeways are Causeway Fu, Causeway Lu and Causeway Shou, as in Chinese, the three words fu, lu and shou carry the meaning of fortune, prosperity and longevity.
- Hangzhou Xixi National Wetland Park Causeway Fu is 2,300m long and 7m wide, stretching through the park from south to north. Across the bank span six bridges with the Chinese character “fu”. Causeway Lu is 1,600m long and 7m wide, stretching through the core reserve area from west to east. It connects the ecological arboretum with the major scientific research project of the wetland and serves as an ecological bank. With a total length of 3,600m and a width of 4.5m, Causeway Shou is the longest of the three, stretching from south to north. Crisscrossing waterways and ancient trees form an ecological landscape.
Wildlife in Xixi National Wetland Park
- Typical birds are: Little egret, wild geese, Common kingfisher, Mallard duck and Silver Pheasant. Aquatic animals are carp, chub, shrimp, eel and crab. Some of the vegetation includes: persimmon, willow, camphor, bamboo, mulberry, plum, peach, elm, nelumbo, maple, poplar and hibiscus.
Top sights of Xixi National Wetland Park
- The ten sights are Qiuxue Hut, the best scenery of this wetland and the sight that can be reached by boat only; Water Mirroring Red Persimmons; Exhibition of Dragon Boat Culture; Lotus Flower Eco-Reserve Area, the main area for bird-watching; Charm of Hong’s Villa, the living place of the Hongs, which fostered a group of celebrities; Boat-rowing in the Moonlight, Fog and Water Fishing Village, a tourist center when one can enjoy local delicacies; Xixi Plum Villa, home to more plum trees and famed for its plum blossoms; Gao’s Villa, and Music Appreciation in Hezhu.
- Hazy Fisher Village Is famous for the scenery of willow haze, mist and smoke from kitchen chimneys.
- Anchorage Thatching seems like an island floating on water – it’s the origin of the name “anchorage”.
- Autumn Snow Temple gains its reputation from white bulrush flowers, which blossom in winter and dance in the sky, similar to snow in winter.
- Deep Pool Mouth can only be reached by boat, and is the site of the annual Dragon Boat Contest.
- XiXi Thatching was once famous collector Fen Mengzhen’s second house in the late Ming Dynasty, recording the artistic life of “lying on water and tasting tea”.
- XiXi Plum Villa has a taste of eremitic sentiment, because the plum is the symbol of the hermit in Chinese culture.
- Plum and Bamboo Manor is concealed in the plum and bamboo bosks, where poets met in the Qing Dynasty.
- XiXi Water Attic is the place for collecting books and reading, with the west part “Blue Brook Study” and the east part “Book Possession”.